My Grandpa's Garden

3.21.2011

When I was little, my grandparents lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico. My grandparent's house was amazing. For kids who grew up in apartments, in the desert, it was like a dream. The backyard rested on about 1/2 acre of land. There was grass, hills, big trees to climb, and tons of bushes and shrubberies to play in and hide behind! On one side of the house, the side with the big red wooden gate, my grandparents kept ample amounts of firewood, a wheelbarrow, and a table to clean the fish we would catch on our camping trips. On the other side, my grandpa had a vegetable garden.


I don't remember everything he grew, but I remember there were tomatoes and radishes. Like most kids, I didn't like tomatoes, so I never ate them, but I loved the radishes! They were small and crunchy and spicy, and the perfect treat after running through the sprinklers. What do I remember most about this garden? The way it smelled. Nestled between large pine trees and the house, my grandpa would use fallen pine needles and grass clippings as mulch. I remember the way it smelled after a good watering. To this day I can smell it.

***

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...